Plants by mail
Sending plants with soil in pots – can you do that? Yes, with the right shipping packaging. Model developed such packaging especially for the start-up Mary and Plants: Swiss customers order pre-potted houseplants online, have them delivered safely to their homes, and the Mary and Plants plant care app helps with questions along the way.
What is special about this e-commerce packaging: The plant, soil and pot are completely protected, without any filling material.
Natural, sustainable shipping packaging
Packaging for Mary and Plants
«The test runs didn’t work right away,» says Thomas Stäheli from Model about the first packaging ideas for Mary and Plants. «It takes patience, expertise and ideas to achieve the desired result for the customer. Together with our innovation expert Rolf Weilenmann, we constantly refined the construction. That’s how we do things at Model.»
Result: exemplary transport packaging
Optimized for logistics
- Mary and Plants hand packs the plants at its location in Wallisellen.
- The packaging is then collected in large postal containers.
- The transport packaging is optimized so there is space in the container for as many packages as possible.
Secure transport guaranteed
- A special lock closes the plant box securely, so it cannot be opened accidentally during transport.
- Do the fragile pots stay intact? Yes, our internal stress tests and Swiss Post’s practical tests have shown that.
Mail delivery without expensive surcharge
«Retailers have to pay a surcharge to the post office for fragile goods. We wanted to avoid that,» says Ivan Putincanin from Mary and Plants. «This definitely required the skill and expertise of the professionals at Model. It worked. We can send our plants normally by post.»