Crucial to success: Packaging in online retail
A box with a handy tear strip, securely padded with sustainable paper pads and decorative tissue paper. Easy to recycle or ideal for returns – this is how to inspire customers with e-commerce packaging.
We help you pack your products in the best possible way for shipping. Because shipping packaging plays a decisive role in successful online retail. Studies show that packaging is inextricably linked to the product experience. As an online retailer, large or small, you should ask yourself:
- Which boxes should I use for shipping my goods?
- Which upholstery material is right for my products?
- Is my product dangerous goods, does it require special shipping packaging?
- How do I make unpacking and returns as easy as possible for my customers?
- How do I reduce packaging costs when shipping?
- How can I ship my products more sustainably?
Packaging is an important marketing tool. We have put together quick tips and detailed checklists for your shipping packaging so that you can inspire your customers all round.
Are you looking for a tailor-made, efficient packaging solution for your e-commerce? Contact our experts for a no-obligation consultation:
Three quick tips: The ideal e-commerce packaging is…
Online retail: Optimize your shipping packaging
3 steps to your e-commerce packaging
Shipping packaging made easy
These 10 tips will help you pack professionally for your e-commerce. Retain your customers in the long term with high-quality, sustainable and clever shipping packaging.
Checklist: Pack the package correctly for online retail
- Show your brand: Brand your shipping packaging inside and out. If you use standard boxes that you cannot or do not want to print on, use high-quality stickers or inserts with a personal message.
- Neutral packaging for special products: When shipping expensive or delicate items, protect your packages from theft and your customers from embarrassment.
- The right carton size for all products: Your customers will be happy about small boxes. You save storage costs and money for unnecessary filling material.
- A self-adhesive closure makes your packaging more efficient: Boxes with an automatic bottom also save time when setting up and packing.
- Use sustainable, high-quality packaging material: Space-saving boxes made of 100 percent recyclable corrugated cardboard and paper tape are always a good choice. For heavy packages, use a particularly robust adhesive tape so that nothing tears.
- Do not leave empty spaces: With the right filling material, you can secure your product securely in the shipping packaging. Separate individual products from each other so they don’t rub or damage each other during transport.
- Protect sensitive products: In addition to classic filling material, there are individual solutions such as bottle packaging for wine or mailing bags for printed items. You can also protect sensitive items with a corresponding notice on your shipping packaging (“Caution glass”, “Do not bend”).
- Check the shipping label: Your online business is going well and you have to label a lot of packages? Check the shipping label carefully to avoid returns and dissatisfied customers.
- Make returns easy: Use packaging with additional adhesive strips. Your customers can easily reseal the box and don’t need tape or a new box to return it. This ensures that you get your products back in good condition.
- Pack dangerous goods correctly: The International Agreement concerning the Carriage of Dangerous Goods (ADR) provides regulations for dangerous materials and objects, as well as various guidelines for shipping by land and air.